About the Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center
The Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center is high rise courthouse building that was constructed in 1986. It was named in 2000 after Judge Lawson Thomas, who was the first black person to hold a public office in the South since Reconstruction. Judge Thomas, a prominent civil rights activist, was appointed judge in 1950.
Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center Services
The Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center offers the following court services:
Family Court handles three broad categories of cases: domestic relations, probate, and domestic violence.
A simplified divorce is an inexpensive way of ending a marriage.
In order to file a simplified divorce both parties must meet the following requirements:
- There can be no minor or dependent children born from the marriage nor can the wife be pregnant
- If there is property, division of property has been agreed to and a written property division agreement must be filed with the court at the time of initial appearance
- You cannot have any unresolved financial obligations
- One of the parties must be a Florida resident for at least six months prior to the date of filing and your residency must be corroborated by a witness
- Both parties will be required to complete a marital settlement agreement
If you and your spouse do not meet all the requirements, you will not be able to proceed with a simplified divorce.
Domestic Violence Court
Domestic violence is any assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another who is or was residing in the same single dwelling unit.
You can save time by completing the Domestic Violence Intake Questionnaire before you visit the Clerk’s office. The form can be brought to one of the four intake office, which the Lawson E. Thomas Courthouse Center is one of them.
Location & Contact Information
175 NW 1st Ave,
Miami, FL 33128
Phone: (305) 275-1155