Compared to accidents involving passenger vehicles, truck accidents are far more serious. The differences in such factors as size and weight can make collisions catastrophic. Victims will likely face significant medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. They may even die, leaving their surviving family members to struggle emotionally and financially with the loss.
If you’ve been in a truck accident, you simply can’t afford to face the driver’s insurance company on your own. Count on the dedicated Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyers of Klotzman Property Damage Law.
Factors That Make Truck Accidents Disastrous
The risk of severe injury and death in a vehicular accident is far more pronounced if a truck is involved. More serious accidents usually mean larger damages, such as medical bills. These are some of the reasons why truck accidents are catastrophic.
Size and Weight
Trucks are bigger and much heavier than automobiles. If the truck is carrying heavy cargo, it can deliver a particularly devastating impact in an accident. A passenger vehicle simply cannot withstand such force nearly as well, and will usually be totaled.
More Time to Slow Down
Trucks need more time to decelerate due to their size and weight. Even if the brakes are applied well before a crash, the momentum will still be high. Factors like rain can make a Fort Lauderdale truck accident even deadlier.
Strength of the Truck’s Components
Trucks are built with more durable materials compared to passenger vehicles. A smaller automobile will typically absorb more energy in a wreck. This puts automobile passengers at risk of permanent injuries and death.
Trucks are often used to transport gasoline, chemicals, and other dangerous materials. A wrecked truck could disperse these substances into the environment. A victim, for example, might inhale deadly fumes produced by burning chemicals.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The objective of a truck accident claim is to seek monetary damages. But the victim bears the burden of explaining exactly how the at-fault party caused the crash. Partnering with a knowledgeable Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer, the victim will work to prove the defendant’s negligence.
It starts with knowing some of the most common reasons these wrecks occur.
- Overloaded trucks: Trucks have weight limits, and a truck with too much cargo may violate safety regulations. If this is the case, it’s strong evidence of negligence.
- Poor maintenance: Compared to passenger vehicles, trucks require far more maintenance. Neglecting this duty or performing poor maintenance or repair work could have fatal consequences.
- Defects: The truck may have been assembled with defective parts or components. This indicates possible manufacturer liability.
- Blind spots: Truck drivers should be trained to check for blind spots before changing lanes and making turns. If they fail to do so, the driver and/or the driver’s employer could be liable.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers are susceptible to numerous distractions, like any other driver. If there’s evidence of distracted driving, your Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorney will highlight it.
- Traffic law violations: Speeding and other illegal traffic movements could put others at risk. Trucks are dangerous enough without violating the laws meant to keep everyone on the road safe.
- Driver fatigue: Federal regulations place limits on how long a driver can be behind the wheel. However, drivers and their employers routinely ignore these rules.
- Poor road conditions: Road construction, potholes, unmarked lanes, and other conditions cause many truck wrecks. Blame for these types of accidents could lie with contractors or governmental entities responsible for road maintenance.
Our Attorneys Are Here to Serve You
Klotzman Property Damage Law understands the stress that truck accident victims face. That’s why we go to work every day to help victims seek the most compensation available. If you would like know more information about what a personal injury case is, view this page. If you or a loved one were injured in a wreck, let us serve your legal needs. Call us today to learn more.